Inouk Von der Kuhblanker Heide - DRC                              (Inouk *30.03.2016, tvd)

19 August 2017

On 09.06.2017 Inouk had his follow-up examination, after 3 months.


However, I would like to add that at the end of March we received the bad news, that Inouk's kidney values are not that good. The investigation showed, that he urgently needed renal diet food. 'When will this stop, what's next?' my thoughts were, 'What else does our little Indian have to endure?'... Good, but luckily it was noticed and we were able to react immediately. Until then, we gave him 'BARF', but now Inouk is getting dry kidney-diet food. He takes it very well and he still has to lick out Elmo's food bowl.


But now to the cardiological examination on 09.06.2017. I was rather excitedly awaiting the examination, because I had secretly hoped for a substantial improvement. Dr. Sameluck resounded the heart and Inouk was wonderfully involved.


The findings:

Compared to the examination 3 months ago, the findings on the heart are stable and have improved slightly. There is a slight decrease in the size of the right half of the heart and an improved movement of the ventricle septum, which has also slightly increased the diastolic volume of the left ventricle. A therapy adaptation is currently not necessary. Cardiac therapy will continue as before. A laboratory check of the kidney values and electrolytes is to be carried out promptly.


The check of the renal values showed that one value has improved, but the second is still high.


Inouk was not feeling well for a few weeks, so we asked our vet to give him some more painkillers.

Inouk could only get up very slowly and with a long time delay, then he was so paralyzed that his right hindquarters were temporarily buckled and he had trouble moving (I immediately had the video of Schröder in my mind).

After 2 days of administering the painkiller, I could observe that it got a little better and after the 10th day it was much better. Meanwhile, Inouk is visibly doing great again and we all enjoy this situation very much. It is wonderful to see, that Inouk invites our Elmo to play and he pulls out all the stops. He is a very special Labbi... our sunshine, charmer, clown and so affectionately cuddly...


Inouk has also been participating in the research project on tricuspid valve dysplasia at the TiHo Hannover since March 2017.


In January 2018, the next follow-up examination, we will find out more and until then we will enjoy the time... Inouk will continue to work with me and play with me, raving and eating and sleeping, just like a normal Labbi... I will gladly report further....


(Gabriele and Dieter, owners of Inouk)

20 March 2017

Inouk ('little Indian') came to us on 25th of May. He is a second dog in our family. 


Actually Grobi from G-litter should come to us in October 2015, but for medical reasons we had to call off one week before we wanted to pick Grobi up.


Now we've got our Inouk – a little, dearest bundle of joy, as cool as a cucumber, sort of a little sleeping pill. When it was feeding time and Elmo already used to run back and forth excitedly, Inouk still was lying asleep. When I called him and was proud that he did react, he didn't came running – no, he gently strided to me.  Well, every dog is unique and different. 


When I observed Inouk sleeping, I determined that his heart was beating quiet fast and sometimes some kind of vibration goes along his chest. But, not suspecting anything bad, we awarded this to puppy being.


We went to dog school with Inouk. We passed the puppy- and young dog group – obviously thrilled – and then the basic training started. In February 2017 I determined, that Inouk was completely exhausted after 20 minutes of individual training. He was visibly panting (we also noticed that some month before). We suspected this was caused by bad condition. 


Elmo and Inouk romped around the field and were chasing each other, pretty normal. But afterwards Inouk was so exhausted, that he immediately fall asleep. Even normal, I thought...


In January 2017 we determined, that Inouk sometimes was lame on the left forepaw, when standing up from resting position. We ordered physical rest, Inouk walked on the lead very exemplary. On sunday, 18th February 2017, I told my husband, that I would go to the vet next week to clarify the lame. I called the clinic for registration. 20 minutes later the dog, the master and the mistress already were at the clinic. The vet did the examination, some tests and auscultation. 


Quote from the vet: "Well, Inouk doesn't show any reaction onto hinges... but... I can hear very loud heart murmurs, you should clarify this by a specialist..."

Ok, no sooner said than done... We got an appointment at the cardiologist, which comes to the clinic upon request. We went home and I was firmly convinced, that the murmur was caused by Inouk's excitement and that nothing is wrong with it's heart. My husband was not too optimistic, but I won't let this thoughts happen. A few days later I admited that 'even if there is something wrong, Inouk will get some pill and everything is fine again'.


Then the time came. It was the 10th March, the appointment for cardiac examination was at 13:00. Dr. Sameluck examined him very well, she did the auscultation while Inouk was standing and sadly could confirm the heart murmurs. Afterwards Inouk had to lay down. My husband stood at his head, the veterinary nurse at his chest and me at his hind legs. That allows me to have an unrestricted view of the monitor.  

Dr. Sameluck described everything she saw and explained, how it has to look like and how it looks in Inouk's case. After the heart ultrasound was done, the diagnosis was clear:

'clearly compensated tricuspid valve insufficiency by tricuspid valve dysplasia (tvd)' 



  • Vetmedin, 10mg 2 times a day 3/4 pill
  • Furotab, 40mg 2  times a day 1 1/2 pill
  • Nelio, 20mg 1 time a day 3/4 pill
  • Prilactone, 80mg 1 time a day 3/4 pill


After one week we went to the follow-up appointment to check the medication, do some X-ray and to have a blood sample taken. Monday moring the clinic called: The blood count was quiet ok –  there only were some anomalies at the kidney values and therefore we had to pass a urine sample. My husband went to the clinic with Inouk and in the afternoon the all-clear was issued. 


On 31.03. we have another appointment for blood samling and we hope that afterwards it becomes quiet again until the next ultrasound in May. 


Inouk tolerates the drugs quite well. Because Vetmedin has to be given an hour before feeding, I set the alarm clock two times a day. And my little Inouk comes to the kitchen when the alarm clock is ringing to get his medicine. 


I will continue reporting...


(Gabriele and Dieter Diskowski, owners of Inouk)